Welcome! We’re glad you are considering East Lake Commons (ELC) as a place to live.
Before you buy or rent a home at ELC, please read the following:
Things you should know:
- We are a self-managed community, and perform many of our community's management and maintenance tasks. Self-management builds community and reduces costs.
- Each adult in the community is expected to perform a minimum of 4 hours of community work each month.
- We strive to know each other, and to enjoy meaningful and joyful interaction with one another.
How to learn more about East Lake Commons:
- Request a tour by sending an email to ContactUs@EastLakeCommons.org.
- Attend one or more general business meetings (2nd Tuesdays, 4th Sundays).
- Attend one or more community meals (Sundays) and/or community potlucks (Tuesdays).
- Read our Book of Commons.
- Read Creating Cohousing. Building Sustainable Communities by McCamant, Durrett, and Hertzman.
- Read EcoVillage Ithaca: Pioneering Sustainable Culture by Liz Walker.
- Spend at least one Saturday or Sunday wandering around our community and talking to the residents.
To get more information on any of the listings to the left, roll your mouse over and click the item(s) you're interested in.